The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Regional Office for South-East Asia, as part of the OHCHR-UNESCO Global Drive for Media Freedom, Access to Information and the Safety of Journalists supported by the Netherlands, is calling for women journalists from Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand to submit their applications for a capacity building training programme on human rights, media freedom, and the safety of women journalists.
The training is designed to increase the knowledge and capacities of participants on human rights, threats and risks faced by women journalists and means to address these through available UN human rights mechanisms, digital security measures, as well as other forms of safety and security.
The training will be conducted both on- and off-line and will be implemented from July-December 2022 with exact dates still to be determined through self-learning components, online discussions and in person sessions. In addition to English, the programme will also be available in Bahasa Indonesia and Thai.
Women journalists qualify to participate if they:
- Are a woman journalist from one of the four target countries.
- Cover issues/topics on human rights that may be considered sensitive in national contexts.
- Have limited knowledge of human rights and safety issues. While women who have received previous trainings will be considered, preference will be given to those that have had less exposure to similar trainings.
- Have at least 2 years of work experience. Young women are strongly encouraged to apply, and participants are expected to be currently working as journalists.
- Particular attention will be given to ensure diversity among the participants of each country, based on geographical location, age, type of media outlet they work for and/or other pertinent considerations.
If you are an interested candidate, you need to submit:
- A CV (in English or local language);
- Selection of content on relevant subjects, which could include written, video or audio stories (one or more);
- Motivation letter indicating why and how you would benefit from participating in the course
Applications can be submitted through the following link: https://airtable.com/shrSnQBxlFSXX3Xgf.
Deadline for applications is 30 May 2022.